1. There's a bird whose name tells if he flies fast or slow,
2. One which boys use when with long strides they go,
3. There is one that tells tales, although he can't sing,
4. And one who flies high, but is held by a string.
5. By one a high rank in the army is held;
6. There's another whose name with one letter is spelled.
7. There is one that a farmer in harvest would use;
8. And one you can easily fool if you choose.
9. What bird, at dessert, is it useful to hold?
10.And which in the chimney place oft hung of old?
11.Which bird wears a bit of sky in its dress?
12.Which one always stands in the corner at chess?
13.There is one built a church, of London the pride;
14.We have one when we talk with a friend by our side.
15.What bird would its bill find useful at tea,
16.And which would its tail use to steer with at sea?
17.Which proudly a musical instrument wears?
18.And which the same name as a small island bears?
19.Which bird is called foolish and stupid and silly?
20.And which always wanting to punish poor Billy?
21.Which bird is an artisan, works at his trade?
22.And which is the stuff of which flags are made?
23.One, we're told by the poet, at Heaven's gate sings;
24.There's one which in Holland the new baby brings.
25.What bird have we with us in eating and drinking?
26.One, used for a fence, you can say without thinking.
27.What bird is a scoffer, a scorner, a jest?
28.Which one is too lazy to build her own nest?
29.From a high wind at evening one name is inferred.
30.Guess these, and you're wise as Minerva's own bird.
ANSWERS TO BIRD RIDDLES.
11. Blue Bird
27. Mocking bird