Coconut Krispie Balls Recipe
Recipe: Coconut Krispie Balls Recipe
Category: Christmas Candy Recipes
Student Level: preschool, kindergarten, elementary
1 stick butter
1 C sugar
2 t salt
1 small egg
3/4 C pitted dates, chopped
2 C rice krispie cereal
1/2 C pecans, chopped fine
3 C coconut, flaked
Place the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow the butter to melt completely.
- Pour in the sugar and sprinkle in the salt.
- Add the egg.
- Stirring continuously cook the mixture until it begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the dates.
- Continue cooking 5 minutes, being sure to stir continuously.
- Remove from pan from the heat.
- Stir in the cereal and the pecans until completely combined.
- Allow the mixture to cool enough to handle.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Place the coconut in a large bowl.
- Roll the cereal mixture into small balls.
- Roll the ball in the coconut to cover.
- Place on the wax paper and allow the balls to cool to room temperature before storing.
Serving Size: 24
Tint the coconut with red and green food coloring to make these a more festival candy for the holidays. Any type of dried fruit will also work in this recipe as long as it can be chopped small enough.