Dance of the Snowflakes
words of this motion song are adapted
to the chorus of "Dream
Faces." The children should be dressed
in white gowns, white stockings and slippers,
and wear caps made of white tissue paper,
trimmed with silver stars.
both hands, look up.
- Move hand slowly back and forth,
with floating motion.
- Lower hands, and motion as if swaying
- Drop head slowly to one side, close
eyes as if sleeping.
- While pianist plays last half of
song slowly, children take hold of corners
of skirts, and with waltz step dance
from side to side, still with sleepy
look and motion.
- Stand erect, with eyes wide open.
- Use forefinger of right hand as if
- Raise both hands above head, and
lower them slowly, with fluttering motion.
- Drop heads, sing very slowly.
- Shake heads sadly.
- Look down as if searching for flowers.
- While pianist plays as in 5 children
repeat 5 very slowly, still looking down.
- Music much faster and brighter.
Children look up over right shoulder,
as if afraid of being caught.
- Whir round and round.
- Bend to right, and then to left.
- Fall lightly to floor.
- Spring up with hands upraised.
- Drop hands, smile.
- All clasp hands, raise them high
above heads, and dance lightly backward
- Hold position 19; dance as in 5,
only more rapidly.
- Dejected position, head bent down.
Music very slow and sad.
- Raise and lower right hand slowly.
- Repeat with left.
- Music strong and faster. Children
raise on tip-toe of right foot, reach
forward with motion as looking in window
above them on their right.
- Motion with forefinger of right
hand as if counting stockings.
- With skirts distended dance as in
- Right hand raised to ear, as if
- Shade eyes with right hand and look
- Step forward, both hands extended
as if in greeting, smiling.
- Throw kiss to audience.
- Pianist repeats
all of song; children dance as in 26,
singing verse beginning "Bright
stars are gleaming," and at last "Merry
kiss to audience.
in cloudland, (1)
Floating here and there (2)
Over the mountains
And the valleys fair.
Winds swayed our cradles, (3)
Then we fell asleep, (4)
While far above us
Stars their watch did keep. (5)
"Wake," cried the North Wind, (6)
"You to earth must go." (7)
Down we fell fluttering (8)
Butterflies of snow.
Silently and slowly (9)
Through the winter hours,
Falling so sadly, (10)
Hiding grass and flowers, (11-12)
Then the wind caught us, (13)
Whirled us round and round, (14)
Dashed us and drove us, (15)
Piled us on the ground (16)
Flying up in frolic, (17)
Always glad and gay, (18)
Dancing and drifting (19)
All the stormy day. (20)
Now our play is over, (21)
Now the day is done,
Falling so sadly, (22)
Sadly one by one. (23)
Peeping in the windows (24)
Where the fires glow,
See the children's stockings (25)
Hanging in a row. (26)
Hark, in the distance (27)
Hear the merry bells!
Santa Claus is coming, (28)
Sweet their music tells!
Go we now to greet him, (29)
Listen as we call,—
Glad merry Christmas,
Merry Christmas all! (30)
Bright stars are gleaming, (31)
Christmas cometh soon.
Joy bells are ringing,
All in merry tune.
We are Christmas snowflakes,
Singing as we fall,—
Glad, merry Christmas,
Merry Christmas all!