- two and one-half cups of meal
- four eggs
- two cups of sugar
- one kitchen-spoon of goose fat
- one kitchen-spoon of beef fat
- four apples
- spices according to taste
- one glass of wine also, if convenient
Put the meal in a bowl with salt, pepper, ground, clove, allspice, and cinnamon mixed into it; peel and grate the apples, melt the fat and mix, put in eggs and then stir in the sugar which has been boiled with water to a thin syrup and cooled off.
Hollow out two pieces, put cranberries or any fruit between them; form into balls the size of a medium apple, and bake them on a well-greased pie-plate for about one hour.