Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- Lincoln hid his mail, bankbook and important papers in his stovepipe hat.
- Lincoln stood at 6 feet 4 inches tall.
- As a young man, Lincoln split logs to build fences. He also worked on a riverboat, was a store clerk, a surveyor and postmaster before he taught himself to be a lawyer.
- The Civil War began six weeks after Lincoln took office.
- When Lincoln issued the Emanicpation Proclamation in early 1863, it freed slaves from the Confederate states. By the end of the Civil War, more than 180,000 black soldiers served in the Union Army.
- Over six hundred thousand Americans died in the Civil War which lasted about four years.
- Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth just 5 days after after General Robert E. Lee surrendered the South to the Union.
- Lincoln's profile can be found on the U.S. penny as well as the 5 dollar bill.