Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- At nine years old, Jackson read the Declaration of Independence aloud to neighbors who had never learned to read.
- At 13 years old, he left school to join the American Revolution as a messenger. He was captured by the British and became a prisoner of war.
- Jackson led troops to victory in the Battle of New Orleans and final battle of the War of 1812.
- Jackson's soldiers nicknamed him "Old Hickory" during the War of 1812 because he was willing to suffer the same hardships as the average soldier.
- Andrew Jackson was the first president who didn't come from a wealthy family showing the American people that anyone can succeed.
- As president, Jackson vetoed many bills. Only one major law (the Indian Removal Act) was passed in his 8 years in office.
- After two terms in office, Jackson retired to the Hermitage - a cotton plantation he started in Tennessee.