Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- Chester Arthur was never elected to anything before he became president when President Garfield was assassinated.
- Arthur's father was a minister.
- In college, Arthur was a prankster, however, he still managed to graduate in the top third of his class. He worked as a teacher to help pay his tuition.
- As a lawyer, he fought for rights of African Americans.
- During Arthur's vice presidency, the Republican Party gave him the job of collecting import duties from ships sailing into the Port of New York. Arthur gave jobs to people who only supported the Republican Party. Garfield's assassin was someone who wanted one of those jobs. As president, Arthur did away with that practice and made sure the people were given jobs and raises based on their abilities.
- The press nicknamed him "Elegant Arthur." He liked nice clothes, had a lot of them and liked nice surroundings. He thought the White House was shabby - he had it completely redone before moving in.
- While in the White House, Arthur placed a fresh rose by his wife's picture every day. Ellen Lewis Herndon Arthur passed away before he became president.