Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- Eisenhower grew up in a small town in Kansas. He had six brothers.
- Eisenhower liked hunting, fishin, football and military history.
- Eisenhower attended West Point. His teachers didn't think he'd be a great officer because he was a prankster.
- During World War II, Eisenhower was in charge of all the troops in Europe and led them to victory.
- As a war hero, he was asked to run for president by both political parties. In 1952, he agreed to run as a Republican.
- President Eisenhower helped end the Korean War. He tried to ease tensions between the U.S. and Soviet Union during a time of the "Cold War."
- Eishenhower sent federal troops to Little Rock, Arkansas to protect African American children after the Supreme Court ruled that segregated schools were illegal.
- The presidential retreat founded by the National Park Service near Washington, DC in 1942 was originally named Shangri-la by FDR. Eisenhower renamed the retreat "Camp David" after his grandson. It still has that name today.
- Eishenhower loved golf. He made the game so popular, that many Americans began to play while he was in office. In 2009, Eishenhower was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame.
- Alaska and Hawaii were added to the Union during Eisenhower's presidency.
- Eisenhower chant:
"Ike is nifty,
Ike is nifty;
started out with forty-eight;
ended up with fifty."