Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- Franklin Roosevelt led the country out of the Great Depression.
- Franklin Roosevelt's profile is found on the U.S. dime. It has appeared on the dime from 1946 - present.
- FDR came from a wealthy family. He was a distant cousin of Theodore Roosevelt as well as Eleanor Roosevelt, who he later married while a student at Columbia Law School.
- After beginning a political career, Roosevelt was struck with polio. Within 2 days, he couldn't walk and was confined to a wheel chair.
- In 1932, Roosevelt promised a New Deal for Americans which included help for farmers and better working conditions for most Americans.
- FDR was a strong wartime leader. After the attack at Pearl Harbor, the U.S. declared war on Japan. Germany and Italy declared war on the United States.
- FDR died of a stroke shortly into his 4th term. One month later, the Allies won the war in Europe.
- Roosevelt is the only president to serve more than 2 terms. He was elected 4 times. In 1951, Congress passed the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution limiting presidents to two terms.
- Eleanor Roosevelt was a busy First Lady. She wanted to make sure that African Americans, women, immigrants and all other Americans were part of the New Deal.