Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- Just 7 months after Hoover took office, the stock market crashed and the country entered the Great Depression.
- Herbert Hoover was an orphan at the age of nine.
- Hoover went to Stanford University and studied geology. He made his fortune traveling the world as a gold mine expert.
- When World War I began, Hoover was in London. He helped over 120,000 Americans who were trapped in Europe to get home. Later he raised millions of dollars for food and medicine for European war victims.
- Hoover's 1928 election slogan was "A chicken in every pot and a car in every garage."
- When the Great Depression hit, 25% of all workers couldn't find jobs and more than a million people were homeless. Many of them lived in towns of shacks called "Hoovervilles."
- The Hoover Dam that spans across the Colorado River was named after President Herbert Hoover.