Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were the only 2 signers of the Declaration of Independence who later became president. The both died on the same day - July 4, 1826 - exactly 50 years after they signed the Declaration.
- Young Jefferson liked to play the violin.
- Jefferson was a shy speaker, but excellent writer.
- John Adams asked Jefferson to write the Declaration of Independence. Fifty-six members of the Continental Congress signed the document. The largest signature was John Hancock.
- Jefferson became the United States' ambassador to France after the Revolutionary War.
- Jefferson served as the first secretary of state under President George Washington.
- Jefferson bought a huge area of land from the French called the Louisiana Purchase that doubled the size of the United States.
- The explorers, Lewis and Clark were sent by Jefferson to explore the west and find a route to the Pacific Ocean.
- Jefferson founded the University of Virginia.
- Jefferson's home in Virginia is called Monticello, which is built on "Tom's Mountain."
- In 1807, explorer Zebulon Pike sent two grizzly bear cubs to Thomas Jefferson as a gift.
- After the War of 1812 - Jefferson sold his personal library of more than 6000 books so that the Library of Congress could be restored. The British destroyed the library by setting fire to the Capital.