Other Interesting Facts and Trivia:
- Instead of going to college, Taylor became an Army officer.
- Taylor fought in the War of 1812 and various battles for and against Native American land disputes.
- Taylor's nickname was "Old Rough-and-Ready." He got this nickname from wearing old farm clothes into battle and living the same way as the soldiers.
- Taylor was a war hero from the Mexican-American War.
- Taylor was a slave owner, but he thought new states should be able to decide for themselves whether they would be a free or slave state.
- On July 4, 1850, Taylor celebrated Independence Day at the Washington Monument. He snacked on cherries that are believed to have bacteria on them. He got sick and died 5 days later.
- Taylor's favorite warhorse was named "Old Whitey."