A Beginner Reading Text
1. Father, and Charles, and Lucy, and I went to
the beach yesterday. We took our dinner, and stayed
2. Father and Charles went out a little way from
the shore in a boat, and fished, while Lucy and I
gathered sea mosses.
3. We took off our shoes and stockings, and
waded into the shallow water. We had a pail to put
our seaweeds in.
4. We found such beautiful ones. Some wore
purple, some pink, and some brown. When they
were spread out in the water, the purple ones looked
like plumes, and the brown ones like little trees.
5. Such a funny thing happened to Lucy. She
slipped on a stone, and down she went into the
water. How we both laughed! But the wind and sun
soon dried Lucy's dress.
6. Then father came and took us in the boat for a
row. After that we had a picnic dinner in the woods.
7. Then father spread his coat on the grass, and
took a nap while we children played on the beach.